Fundraising Ride for Yorkshire Air Ambulance: Funds Presented
In the past our members have had to make use of Yorkshire Air Ambulance following accidents. So, we decided to raise funds for YAA by designating two club rides as charity rides and on 12th October six Wheelers went to Nostell Priory to present a ceremonial cheque for £1012.60.
Details of the presentation ride are at Boston Spa – YAA Nostel Priory, Tuesday 12th October 2021, 65 miles – Wetherby Wheelers
Fundraising Ride for Yorkshire Air Ambulance: The background
In the past, our members have had to make use of Yorkshire Air Ambulance following accidents.
Howard Blakeley suggested that the Wheelers consider making a donation to the Yorkshire Air Ambulance and this was met with overwhelming approval.
Firstly, a few facts about the Yorkshire Air Ambulance
- YAA is an independent charity supplying life saving response across Yorkshire
- They operate two helicopters and two rapid response vehicles.
- To keep both helicopters maintained and flying requires £12,000 every day!
- The helicopters carry highly qualified and experienced Critical Care Consultants, Anaesthetists and specialist paramedics
- Average time from 999 call to take off is 2-3 minutes
In the year April 20 to March 21 they treated 371 patients within 25 miles of Wetherby and 922 across Yorkshire. There were 19 cycling incidents.
Wheelers Members were enthusiastic that we could both make a donation from club funds and also raise more for YAA by running a charity ride.
The treasurer confirmed that the club can afford a donation and gave £100. Many members expressed a wish to add to this personally.
To allow for members varying commitments we designated the Saturday and Sunday rides on the weekend 26/27 June 2021 for this purpose. On the Sunday the ride was to Beverley, as on the runs card. The Saturday ride was to Fountains Abbey. On both these days, riders were asked for a voluntary donation of a minimum of £10.