Ride Report – Masham – Sunday 7th July 2024

Our planned ride from Easingwold to Whitby and back had been postponed only a few days ago, as the threat of heavy rain and thunder in the afternoon made an excursion over the North Yorkshire Moors less appealing, So, four of us decided to risk a shorter ride and met in The Shambles at 9am. After consideration of a few options, we decided a return route to Masham, having checked various favourite weather apps it was likely to be the driest route…… So ride leader Nic H, Steve B, Graham B and me (Phil W) headed north out of Wetherby.

We went through Kirk Deighton, North Deighton and Little Ribston, continuing along Knaresborough Road and Wetherby Road, through Knaresborough via Halfpenny Lane and headed out, turning left towards Farnham. We cycled towards Copgrove, through Bishop Monkton and on towards Ripon via Littlethorpe, by which time we had just about finished discussing last night’s football, as England had reached the semi-final of the Euros on penalties. (We had started discussing it at Deighton Gates……)

We followed Kirby Road outside of Ripon, heading through Sutton Grange and Grewelthorpe, so a few inclines before the welcome descent into Masham. The square was busy, with motor cyclists, a market and we were lucky to get seats in Johnny Baghdad’s Cafe on the Square for a late morning brunch and cuppa.

Our route out started across the bridge over the River Are, taking the hill up towards Nosterfield, but turning right into West Tanfield, where we took a left along Moor Lane, and then followed Tanfield Lane into Wath. The clouds were gathering, there was rainfall in the distance and the other three (well prepared) riders were considering when to put their waterproofs on……mine was safely at home…… Turning right at Wath we went through Hutton Conyers, across Hutton Bank to Berrygate Lane and through Sharow just as it started to rain.

Our leisurely pace quickened as we turned left along Skelton Lane, through Skelton, Langthorpe and into Boroughbridge, by which time the rain was increasingly heavy. Common sense dictated that we should take the direct route to Wetherby via the A168, being a 12 mile straight road through the now torrential rain. There were a group of motorcyclists sheltering from the downpour under a bridge as we charged past at pace, determined to get home! Nick headed home via Cowthorpe and the remaining three returned safely to Wetherby, pleased that the Whitby run had been deferred but equally happy to have had a run out…despite the weather! (Masham return, 62 miles.)

Phil W