Boston Spa to Selby, Tuesday 3 January 2023, 47 miles

Four Gladiators assembled at BS church for the first Tuesday Ride of the year, unfortunately no Ulrika Jonnson, she missed out. But we did have Hang Tough Steve Pearson, Rhino Bob Lunt, you did say you had piled the weight on, Warrior Pete Dack and me, for mopping up duties.
The weather suggested we might get a fine window during the morning before the rain came. However overnight frost understandably affected the attendance especially as it was raining first thing. With this in mind we delayed the start to 10.30am and chose to head to Selby to the Hub as any kind weather was in that direction. Despite being into the wind riding out I am pleased to say only a slight drizzle in the wind accompanied our efforts.
Our route took us out of BS and then a right onto Rudgate towards Stutton. The usual roads came and went as we headed to Ulleskelf, from there into the wind to Church Fenton and despite a wrong turning, don’t let Steve P lead, we rode on to Little Fenton and Biggin. Have to say thanks to Pete for his patience as he worked hard at keeping his speed down. The final run in was through Bishop Wood and eventually Selby.
Fortunately a table was waiting for us inside allowing us time to relax and enjoy the service. The conversation covered how to deal with the after affects of heart surgery.
As we were later starting I suggested to Pete he might be advised taking a more direct route home as the weather was closing in and he had farther to go. Not trying to get rid of you my friend, just thinking about you and the journey home.
The plan was to have the wind behind us on the run to Naburn and home. This would put a longer journey on for Pete.
It was already beginning to drizzle when we left and headed towards Wistow, Cawood and Stillingfleet. Pete peeled off early onto the Sherburn road and I believe he was home ahead of us.
It was great having a tailwind but the rain had settled in for the afternoon. At Naburn we crossed the Ouse pausing for photos as it had recently over flowed.
I suggested to Bob he should organise training for us on how to party into the wee small hours for oldens like me. Through Copmanthorpe and on to Healaugh and Wighill with the weather worsening.
As we turned left to head out of Wighill it was anchors on as a rabbit 🐇shot across the road causing Steve to brake hard, me the same to avoid his back wheel and Bob the same to avoid my back wheel.
Bob peeled off at the start of the Thorp Arch trading estate, Steve at Walton to head to his car and that left me to ride home to Wetherby. We all agreed it was good to be out and had enjoyed our ride. Good company and plenty of patience.
Thanks guys.